Thursday, May 20, 2010

Free Summer Kids' Movie Schedule


I start to anticipate summer when I think of all the fun things we can do because we have fewer schedule restrictions. But when I start thinking about how much everything is going to cost, I could easily freak-out. But you're talking about the woman who can get blood out of a penny...well, not really, but I like a great deal--FREE's better though. So this mind-set works well with the Free Summer Kids' movies hosted by Regal Cinemas. Every area has their own schedule at their local Regal theaters--google Regal and find out what your theater has scheduled. But this is the schedule for the Spokane Valley Regal Cinemas starting next month:


6/22-6/24--Tale of Despereaux (G)
Coraline (PG)
6/29-7/1---Pirates Who Don't Do Anything (G)
Astro Boy (PG)
7/6-7/8----Charlotte's Web (G)
Planet 51 (PG)
7/13-7/15--Rugrats: The Movie (G)
Ice-Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (PG)
7/20-7/22--Rugrats in Paris (G)
Kung Fu Panda (PG)
7/27-7/29--Wallace and Gromit (G)
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (PG)
8/3-8/5----Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (G)
Monsters Vs Aliens (PG)
8/10-8/12--Doogal (G)
Hotel for Dogs (PG)
8/17-8/19--Muppets from Space (G)
Paul Blart: Mall Cop (PG)


I've already slept through several of these movies in years past--so I doubt that we will be going weekly, but it is free--so add it to the list of options. On the north side of Spokane, the Village Theaters at Wandermere do a Summer Children's Movie series as well. The kids usually buy sheets of tickets for all the movies for $5 before they let out of school. The movies are generally newer releases and more "popular"...if you know what I mean. I don't mind paying the $5 a person because $30 for 10-12 movies for 6 people is so cheap because at current ticket prices--we wouldn't even be getting in for that price with everybody at a matinee. (It's 6 people during the summer instead of our usually lucky 7--since it's falls upon me to entertain the kids day after day as Dad's generally at work).


This is "cheapness herself" speaking when I tell you my family movie tip... I don't believe in 100% gouging the theaters of their profits, especially as the movies are SO cheap for the kids series. But even without paying an arm and 2 legs to get in, it still costs me the second leg to throw popcorn on the floor and have children begging for more candy--at $4 a box. So here's what I do: I buy the large popcorn bucket with the large refillable drink. I take brown lunch sacks and cut the upper third off, while still folded...and stick those in my purse. When we are seated, I divvy the bucket of popcorn up between the paper bags and hand them on down the row. By the time the last kid's bag is filled, I'm empty and ready for a refill. No kidding--we go through 2 refills before the movie starts...and 1 during the movie. The theater provides water cups for the kids to share the large drinks--hence I score big-time with my little tribe sharing a bit of liquid sugar. We do this at least once a week during the summer and it doesn't break the bank and we still contribute to the profits of the theater--just not to the gold-plaiting on the roof. I'm set and I'm only into refreshments for $8.50. Kids are happy and I'm NOT broke for going to the theater. (I didn't tell you that I occasionally let my kids eat the candy that's in their pockets...just not MY pockets). Mother of the Year tip: it doesn't cost me anymore to let my kids bring a friend along because it only means an extra bucket of "refillable" popcorn and an extra cup. Yeah!! It's easy to be gracious when it doesn't cost any more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment