Tuesday, August 24, 2010

When the Ad just SuCks--but we can still have PIZZA!!



Well...that's how I feel about the ad this week. I don't see any power shopping moments in the works, unless you count Betty Crocker cookie mixes. They are on sale at Albertsons' this week for 10/$10. Now that is a very good price. I ordered some of the 50cent off coupons off http://www.ebay.com/, making them a fabulous deal at 50 cents a package. I hope the neighbors don't read this...but guess what they are getting for Christmas? That's right...another year of "Make your own cookies! Love, The Eiberts'!!" I just attach a cute cookie cutter to the bag and whola...everyone gets one (no Scrooges or cheap Grinches here!) I even sent goody bags to the school with an assortment of cookie cutters, a tub of frosting, and an assortment of sprinkles for a great little teacher gift bag. And now that I have 5 in school--teacher gifts are going to be a nightmare unless I do something that I deem affordable. Cookie pouches it is! I'm all about maximizing the outflow for a minimum of resources, if you know what I mean.



But my guilty pleasure that comes from a simple Betty Crocker pouch is Fruit Pizza! It has become a quick family favorite this summer. The Betty Crocker sugar cookie pouch has made this a super easy and delicious treat in our house. I buy a container of strawberries and some of my kids start begging for the Fruit Pizza. Jeesh! Isn't there any other dessert that calls for a strawberry? And I just prepared the lunch and dessert for a group of almost 50 hardy eaters (missionary zone conference). I made the Fruit Pizza--and you could have heard the choirs of angels singing...it was that good. Toot, Toot!


So here's the recipe: Fruit Pizza


Crust: 1 package Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie pouch. Prepare according to directions. Spray large pizza pan with Pam/cooking spray. Press cookie dough into the pan evenly to meet up around the edges. Once level, bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes; just till the cookie starts to turn a light golden brown around the edges. Take out and cool on the counter while you start the cream topping.


Filling: 1 softened package cream cheese ( I like the Neu Chatel--30% less fat stuff)

1 container Cool whip

1 container strawberry yogurt (optional--I've added it as an 'extender')

Mix with beaters/Kitchen-aid until creamy--no lumps. Spread across the sugar cookie crust. Top with fresh and sliced fruits:

strawberries, kiwi, bananas, blueberries, mandarin oranges, pineapple tidbits, whatever is seasonal except all melons. I like to decorate the pizza so it is aesthetically proportionate--but definitely not required. Then top with glaze and put in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving. Slice like a pizza and serve. Not only is it beautiful, it's like having a wee bit of heaven unfolding in your mouth as you eat it.

Glaze: 1 1/2 cup orange juice

1/2 c. sugar

Bring to a boil in a small saucepan. Mix 2 T cornstarch with a little bit of cold water until it is pourable and then whisk into the boiling orange juice. Whisk until it turns clear and smooth. Remove from heat. I set a mixing bowl full of ice-cubes and set the saucepan in it to help speed the cooling process down a bit. Whisk after 5-10 minutes to help spread the cold around. Then pour evenly over the fruit. Make sure that all the fruit gets a little covered by the juice to prevent browning. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment